Re: [Evolution] Search folders and new messages

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 13:57 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Out of interest, why would most of the people in this list not use
Ubuntu?

I can only answer for myself, but I find Ubuntu has the feel of a "toy"
operating system - as if it was designed for the hobbyist end of the
market. I also dislike some of the fundamental design decisions.  It has
its place, and I'm not flaming people for using it - it's up to the
individual and nothing is perfect.  I just personally prefer something
that is much more suited to the environment I work in.

This IS a religious issue, and I understand the above is an opinion
only, but to offer a counterpoint: I've been using UNIX of various
flavors for over 25 years, and Linux since 1993.  I started with
Slackware, moved to Red Hat, then (at Red Hat 6.2 or so) moved to
Debian, then finally Ubuntu.  I was compiling things like Emacs, GCC,
bash, etc. from scratch on all sorts of bizarre versions of UNIX well
before we got autoconf/automake etc. when everything was a LOT harder,
and I've put together just about every part of a Linux distro by hand.
I use Linux, of various forms, all day every day for my job and at home
and I don't have Windows running on any of my personal systems.

I use Ubuntu because (a) after so many years of using Debian I'm just
not comfortable anymore with the various design decisions and underlying
infrastructure that Red Hat-based systems use and I much prefer Debian's
environment, packages, system management, etc., (b) I like to use "very
new" software, but not "cut yourself new" software, and (c) I just don't
have any interest in messing around with themes and styles and
rebuilding this and fixing that and tweaking the other thing and on and
on... been there, done that, got bored.  These days I just want a system
with a nice configuration that handles all the mess for me in as simple
a way as possible, has a good security/bug fix process, and lets me get
my work done (for which I use an enormous mass of xterms, Emacs,
FireFox, and some other development tools), listen to music, and a few
other things.

There are serious people using Ubuntu for serious work.  It's Debian
underneath, after all, and I don't know too many people who would say
that Debian is a toy operating system.

FWIW...
Cheers!