Re: [Evolution] Search folders and new messages

        > However, something that doesn't make sense is why, when I have
        search
        > folders set up, do new messages appear twice?  I understand
        that the
        > search folder merely replicates your search so that, if a new
        message
        > comes into the inbox (with the search criteria), then it will
        be
        > expected to appear in the related search folder.

        Search folders are virtual folders - they effectively contain
        pointers
        to messages in the real folders that match the search criteria.
        The
        messages are not duplicated, there is not two copies of the
        message.

I know that there aren't two copies.  But Ubuntu's notification menu
sees one mail as two, when the same mail appears in a search folder
(which doesn't happen in Thunderbird).

Is it only when an email matches a search criterion?

How does Ubuntu's notification menu know that new email has arrived? Is
it just displaying Evolution's notification?  If so, then look in Edit
-> Plugins -> Mail Notification and click on the configuration tab -
make sure that "Notify new messages for Inbox only" is ticked.

Out of interest, why would most of the people in this list not use
Ubuntu?

I can only answer for myself, but I find Ubuntu has the feel of a "toy"
operating system - as if it was designed for the hobbyist end of the
market. I also dislike some of the fundamental design decisions.  It has
its place, and I'm not flaming people for using it - it's up to the
individual and nothing is perfect.  I just personally prefer something
that is much more suited to the environment I work in.

P.