[Evolution] Search folders and new messages

        On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 10:26 +0200, Fred J wrote:
        > I'm using Ubuntu and thought I'd give Evo a try, after all the
        bad
        > press it seems to get.

        Bad press?  In what way?

Well, Thunderbird is, overwhelmingly, more favoured.  In fact, Ubuntu
will soon be dropping Evo for TB.  TB also tends to render HTML mail a
lot more accurately.

But I'm enjoying Evo, so far.

        > However, something that doesn't make sense is why, when I have
        search
        > folders set up, do new messages appear twice?  I understand
        that the
        > search folder merely replicates your search so that, if a new
        message
        > comes into the inbox (with the search criteria), then it will
        be
        > expected to appear in the related search folder.

        Search folders are virtual folders - they effectively contain
        pointers
        to messages in the real folders that match the search criteria.
        The
        messages are not duplicated, there is not two copies of the
        message.

I know that there aren't two copies.  But Ubuntu's notification menu
sees one mail as two, when the same mail appears in a search folder
(which doesn't happen in Thunderbird).

        To be honest the problem lies with whatever "Ubuntu's messaging
        system"
        is - it is obviously not intelligent enough to deal with
        Evolution's
        search folders.

        I don't use Ubuntu (and it seems like v. few of the people who
        answer
        questions around here do), so it's difficult to suggest how to
        fix it.
        But whatever it is that is alerting you to the new messages,
        it's not
        part of Evolution.

This isn't an attack on Evo.  I'm simply asking where the problem might
lie, and what one can do to solve it.  If it's not part of Evolution,
then fine.  Although, I'm sure that Ubuntu developers will point fingers
at Evo's developers.  (Ha!)

Out of interest, why would most of the people in this list not use
Ubuntu?