Re: [Evolution] segfault on start in Debian Squeeze

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 08:39 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 05:27 -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
Hello, all.  I have a fresh installation of fully updated Debian
Squeeze.  It has installed Evolution 2.30.3-5.  All seemed to be
working
well.  I then installed barry from Debian unstable for Blackberry
synchronization.  This had nothing to do with synchronizing to
Evolution; it is strictly for tethering my Asus netbook.

Since then, Evolution segfaults on startup.  If I do evolution
--disable-eplugin, it starts.  I then tried to configure which plugins
were loaded so I could narrow down the problem but it looks like I do
not have that option when all plugins are disabled.

Sounds like your installation of barry stepped on some library used by
both apps. Given that it's unstable, this could explain the segfault.
You should try and back out the barry install (not just uninstall barry
but also any libraries it installed) and see if it fixes the issue.
<snip>
Hmm . . . alas, I uninstalled barry-utils and libbarry (the only two
items installed for Blackberry support) and I still segfaulted.  I
rebooted just in case and got the same.  I reinstalled Evolution and it
still segfaults. So it may be something else.  Unfortunately, I don't
have the time right now to throw it into a debugger and track it down.
Thanks - John