Re: [Evolution] Evolution-3.2.2: Opening calendar to a specified date?

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 08:29 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 12:47 -0800, walt wrote:
I think (maybe) the problem is this commit from the bug you cited:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit?id=44e007e1

That commit puts an extra '&' in front of the date string for reasons
I don't understand.  Maybe that commit was really intended for an
older branch of evolution?

      Hi,
I do not understand that change too. Chen should know.
I observed that the 'open calendar' was broken and fixed it for 2.32,
but did not go into the semantics of the query at that time assuming it
to be right. What I see is that the query starts with '?' parameters are
separated by '&', but don't understand why the value is assigned with
'=&'. It is the same for address-book as well. I think Matthew should
know this better..

http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit/?id=f2b2d42471dc6a820c94f8888bd4f13a5c00a530

- Chenthill.

In addition to the 'x' character you mention, the old way of calling
the correct date is now required again, like this (please try it):

$ evolution calendar:///?startdate=x20111225T120000Z  [ThhmmssZ]

Works for me, the calendar is opened on December 25th, 2011.

IIRC the original patch taught evolution to compensate for the users
local time zone, so the calendar date always increments at midnight,
local time.

The alternate workaround was to force the time to be 12:00:00 Zulu
(as in my example above) instead of the user's real time, which in
practice has the same effect of incrementing the date by one.

This is not accurate. The convention for startdate/enddate parameters of
calendar:// is that the required times are always in UTC, thus they can
be properly translated to user's timezone set in evolution. Thus this is
not an "increment by one". The correct approach is to get the time you
want to see in evolution, convert it to UTC and with it call evolution.
If your timezone in evolution matches the one used in the application
you call evolution from, then you get the correct date, as expected.
      Bye,
      Milan