Re: [Evolution] Evolution settings lost if stored in a symlink directory

I have a problem with ~/.gconf/apps/evolution because when I restart
the machine and remount the encrypted drive then the mail/%gconf.xml
no longer contains my account information so I get prompted for
account creation. I then need to reconfigure all the emails accounts
and settings however the local inbox is there with my emails.

The only workaround I found was to keep ~/.gconf/apps/evolution in
clear text (not symlinked). Is there anything I should be doing in
order to store my config directory in this encrypted symlinked
directory?

I think you don't really understand how Gconfd works.  The files
under .gconf are used only as a method of maintaining the Gconf state
between user sessions.  In simplistic terms, the contents are read once
when Gconfd starts and are written back when Gconfd exits.  The
definitive copy of the Gconf data while the Gconfd is running is in
memory.

The critical thing then is: when is your TrueCrypt partition available?
If it is not available until after gconfd starts, then it won't be able
to retrieve the information it needs.

I would have thought that the best solution would be to have the whole
of your ~/ filesystem encrypted - or even better, just encrypt all your
filesystems - most modern distros will allow you to set this up during
installation.

P.