Re: [Evolution] (no subject)

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 18:01 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 14:54 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 11:35 -0700, leonardevens wrote:
Let me tell you what the source of my evolution problem was.   My ISP, every
once in a while, changed my ip address.  When that happens, I have to tell
my office computer about the change so that it will allow communication from
my home machine.   I do this by changing an alas entry in /etc/hosts and
rebooting.    I was convinced I had done this, but apparently I hadn't
managed to accomplish the reboot.  A friend examined my system and notice it
hadn't been rebooted for over six weeks.   So I rebooted, and then
everything started working normally.

I'd recommend just setting up an SSH port forward from your home machine
to your office machine using public/private keys.  Then if the
connection gets broken [for example: your ISP changes your IP] the
connection will automatically get recreated.  And you never need to
worry about it again.

You can run ssh from inittab with an entry like -
L:235:respawn:/usr/bin/ssh -nNTx -L $LP:$RIP:$RP $USER $HOST
- where LP = Local Port, RIP = Remote IP, $RP = Report Port

I am not sure if this applies here, but couldn't you use a Dynamic DNS
Free client? http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/unix.html. I use
ddclient (Perl script) since my ISP change my IP every 3 months or so.
        nomnex