[Evolution] (no subject)

For many years I have been running Fedora (currently 12-13) at home on PCs and getting my email from an
office machine running some version of RedHat Enterprise Linux.  I use evolution on my local home machine as
a mail agent and I use the office machine as a mail outgoing and incoming server.

But now I am in a state of almost complete collapse, and I would appreciate whatever help I can get.

First let me describe some complications of the setup.  The mail comes to the office machine but is displayed
on the local machine in folders on the local machine and in a few folders of the office machine used for
reading new mail and the like.  All of this was working fine, but within the past three days I suddenly found
I couldn't access new mail---those folders were no longer displayed---nor could I send new mail from the
local machine to the office machine functioning as server.  Part of the reason for complications was that
that transfer using ssh failed because my ISP, comcast, changed the address of my local machine which it does
from time to time.

I would have a few problems with this situation, but it is much worse now for the following reason.  On or
about Aug. 3, I upgraded my Linux systems, and then on Aug. 8, I collided with a bicyclce, while riding, the
result being concussion in my 77 year old head.  I spent about two weeks in the hospital recovering from
this, and I was still able to deal with my system after being let out.  But I am far from up to par yet, and
this is about the worst time I could be left with a problem of this nature.
I have resolved some of the problem---as the discussion about indicates---but I still can't either read
incoming email or send outgoing email by usual methods.   Everything was fine until the latest change in
email on the server and local machine using evolution took effect.

So although it is possible that I just have to do a few more things to get it all working,  I am not there
yet.   If anyone can give me some clues to help my 77 year old, somewhat concussed, brain resolve this
problem, I would really appreciate it.

P.S.  My wife also gets her mail on a Windows machine using Thunderbird
with this setup, but usually, I resolve the problems using Linux, and I would prefer to do it that way this
time.   If absolutely necessary, I can explore the Windows/Thunderbird route to help understand what is
happening, but I would like to avoid that if I can.