Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Gmail

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 10:47 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 08:31 -0500, Christian wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Gmail with Evolution through IMAP. The problem is that there's
no way to set Evolution to use the Gmail trash folder for deleted
e-mail.

I'm not a great user of gmail - I have an account though - and my
impression was that there was no Trash folder - when you delete a mail
in Gmail it disappears.  I certainly can't see a Trash folder.  I seem
to remember there was a big song and dance when Gmail was created that
you had so much space that you need never delete a message again - just
mark it that you don't want it to be seen - 'delete' always meant that
you never wanted to see the message again.

 I'm able to set Drafts and Sent, but not Trash. Right now I have
to move mails manually when I want to delete to the Gmail trash folder.

The same paradigm is used through out Evo - when a message is deleted it
is marked as deleted, you then have to expunge a message to get rid of
it.  That is the defined way that IMAP works.  As far as I can see IMAP
to Gmail works consistently - a message is marked as deleted, then
disappears the same as if I delete a message within Gmail.

Personally I would like to be able to use "straight delete" where delete
means to move the message to the trash folder for the account, but I
realize it works strictly according to IMAP specs in Evo.

How does deletion work for you when using Gmail through the web
interface?

When I delete messages in Gmail it's moved to the [Gmail]/Trash folder
from which it's permanently deleted after 30 days. So all it would take
to get it working was having an option to set the Trash folder just like
you can sett Sent and Drafts. I'm using this option in other mail
clients even the one I use on my phone where you can set which folder is
considered trash. My workaround in Evo is to move mail I want to get rid
of to the [Gmail]/Trash folder istead of using "delete" in Evo.

P.