Re: [Evolution] WICD & NM

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 09:51 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> I've already added my 2 cents but for anybody trying to limit libs in
> the hopes of running a "clean" system. NM adds lost of unwanted
> packages. On the other hand, if you're already running Gnome then you
> really should use that and no other. I'm a big believer that one
> should not buck mainstream with the more mainstream oriented distros.
> I use XFCE4 so I'm already somewhat off the beaten path.

I run KDE in fact, but of course as an Evo user I already have some
Gnome libraries installed, as do you. Which of these are also used by NM
is something I'd need to look at.

poc

Here's the additional pkgs I would need. Many are duplicating the functions I already have such as bluetooth & dnsmasq not really sure about some of the others but I would almost assume it's the same idea.

  dnsmasq-base gnome-bluetooth libgnome-bluetooth7 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib2 libnm-util1 libopenobex1 mobile-broadband-provider-info modemmanager network-manager network-manager-gnome obex-data-server
  obexd-client usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data

One might comment on that being a short list versus allot gained in the functionality of NM vs. WICD. Two things come to mind - and again this is mostly specific to what I want and may not apply to others- 1) If I use that attitude for every pkg then it will, in fact, add up to allot of libs and 2) WICDs mandate is to be distro independent and lightweight so it fits in very well with the way I configure my system. Now, I don't employ all of the features that NM does nor do I for WICD for that matter so this may come down to a typical "if you need it it's worth the extra "load" type-of-thing.

I ran KDE for a while and found that the number of required libraries was even larger for NM then with XFCE and obviously even less again for GNOME. So with my attitude KDE is about the worst to run NM on :)...But once again, this is a matter of personal choice and more specifically a matter of what you want your computer to be for you.

Cheers,
Phil