Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 07:39 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 08:50 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
Does that include changing the name of the 'Reply' button to read
'Private Reply'? I've got a patch for that, but I was dubious about that
anyway just because it changes the size of the button.

I would say so.  Main window's toolbar should remain static.

Just to throw another idea out there...

Claws Mail has an interesting approach to this problem.  They define
dedicated "Reply to Sender" and "Reply to List" actions in their menus,
but also a generic "Reply" action whose behavior for a mailing list post
is determined by a user preference:

   [ ] Reply button invokes mailing list reply

I would probably reword the label, but same idea.  How does that sound?
I don't suggest new preferences lightly, but I'd rather keep toolbar and
menu changes to a minimum here.

So my proposal is:

  Reply            (Ctrl+R)       : Replies to sender on private emails,
                                    configurable for mailing list posts.

  Reply to Sender                 : Works like Reply currently does, or
                                    maybe overrides Reply-To munging?

  Reply to List    (Ctrl+L)       : No change.

  Reply to All     (Shift+Ctrl+R) : For mailing list posts, put list
                                    address in To:, sender in Cc:

Then we can debate an appropriate default for the preference.

This would work for me also..  One quick message to a user, one quick
change (if not the default) and it would work great!

Bart