Re: [Evolution] evolution set up

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 16:45 +0100, Philip Marks wrote:
Sirs,  I have evolution preloaded on my Toshiba NB100 but have no idea
how to set it up nor how to use it or why. I already use hotmail but
want something that configures with the other ubuntu files I have.
Please dont just suggest the evolution Start upn notes because they
mean nothing to na non techy like me. I dont what a server is or
anythingelse it mentions .                Yours sincerely lost

If you want to continue using Hotmail then, in all honesty, forget about
using a mail client such as Evolution.

There are good reasons why I say this, but as you don't want "techy"
answers, it's difficult to explain it [1] - it comes down to the fact
that Hotmail does not support many standard ways of accessing the mail
from a client.

BTW, I don't know how the Ubuntu help files are written, but I can't
imagine they will be any more "techy" than similar instructions for
things like Outlook or Thunderbird under Windows.  To configure any of
these programs requires some very basic knowledge of what the words mean
- if that is not possible, then your best bet is to find/pay someone to
set things up for you.

P.

[1] "techy" answer: hotmail only supports POP, not IMAP.  That means
that only the INBOX is accessible, and for a pre-existing account where
there are likely to be folders, this will cause confusion.  POP also
brings with it emptying of the INBOX if it's not setup not to do so -
which will be confusing if the user tries to access mail via the web
client.