[Evolution] evolution set up

Sirs,  I have evolution preloaded on my Toshiba NB100 but have no idea how to set it up nor how to use it or why. I already use hotmail but want something that configures with the other ubuntu files I have. Please dont just suggest the evolution Start upn notes because they mean nothing to na non techy like me. I dont what a server is or anythingelse it mentions .                Yours sincerely lost    Philip Marks