Re: [Evolution] evolution fails to start

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 13:55 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
I haven't had much luck with the Evos-for-Windows - I hope the upcoming
Bonobo, etc... free builds may be more portable.
Maybe, maybe not. Firstly, there needs to be a stable dbus port to
Windows. Currently the dbus situation on Windows is a bit unclear.
There are several competing ports, with unclear and perhaps
conflicting goals and policies regarding upstreaming etc. (Hopefully I
am just pessimistic here, so sorry if you think this sounds like FUD.)

I don't think it is FUD. :)  I've been a UNIX admin for almost two
decades - pessimism is my middle name.  I'm aware of the D-Bus issue as
I develop .NET (Mono) apps... and there is no D-Bus on Win32. :(

Porting non-trivial apps across platforms is ... non-trivial!

Secondly somebody needs to keep the Evolution et al code buildable and
working on Windows, and somebody (else?) needs to create installers
etc. (Well, me and Fridrich probably will keep trying, in our copious
spare time... Sadly I must admit I haven't for instance built
Evolution myself in half a year at least.)

Understood.

It really might be more useful for you to contact the people
who did the port
We are listening;)