Re: [Evolution] suggestion for evolution

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 22:21 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 19:09 -0400, Jay Daniels wrote:
On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 17:59 -0700, Jeff Barnes wrote:
Since Linux may become more popular in the future to where nongeeks use
 it I would like to suggest a slight improvement to Evolution email.

 When the send/receive button gets greyed out it seems like there might
 be a bug in the software when in reality it got switched to "work
 offline" which is buried in the menu.

 It would be a lot better if instead of greying out the "send/receive"
 button if it switched to saying "work online"

 I spent time wondering if I had been hacked because of this!

Work offline should be transparent to the user.

In what way? My understanding of "transparent" is "everything works the
same, online or offline". It's hard to see how that can be literally
true.

I am normally not a Mac user. However my wife has a MacBook that I was
using recently with a wireless network. The network went away for 5
minutes. All the apps went into "Offline mode". Then the wireless
network came book (I don't why) and viola the apps went "Online mode"
again.

During this time I spent several minutes figuring out the network had
gone away and why Firefox had suddenly gone into "Offline Mode" on its
own.

This is probably want is meant by transparently, however it would
require event notification from the OS that the NIC to the internet has
gone down.

Thanks,
Rob

poc