Re: [Evolution] Confused about Trash folder / Expunging functions w/IMAP

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 11:11 -0400, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
I see the strike-thru msgs as I would expect to. I'm currently hiding
them with the "hide deleted msgs" option until I expunge manually
(like you're doing) -out of site out of mind doesn't work for me. I
know there still there. and my quota will soon remind me if I
forget ;)

My problem is that I would like to have something like an "expunge
deleted message older than" option. I just wanted to be certain such a
thing didn't already exist within the "delete on exit" option. I guess
this is turning into more of a feature request...

(Please don't top-post on this list as it makes threads harder to read).

There is no "expunge deleted messages older than X" option. You can of
course request it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org (check that no-one else
has already done so), but IMHO it's unlikely to be approved. The reason
has to do with a limitation in IMAP itself. An IMAP Expunge operation is
defined to work on *all* the deleted messages in a folder. It's not
selective, so there would be no way to expunge old messages and keep new
ones. MUAs which offer this feature seem to do it by distorting the IMAP
deletion model i.e. they copy messages to a real Trash folder instead of
simply marking them, but there are problems and inefficiencies in doing
it this way and I doubt that the Evo devels would be willing to adopt
it.

poc