[Evolution] Confused about Trash folder / Expunging functions w/IMAP

Hi,

I'm a little embarrassed to ask but can someone shed some light on the following:

I use IMAP in maildir format with my host(off-site). When I delete a msg I get the expected strike-thru appearance. In order to actually delete the msg I must Expunge manually. When it's "expunged" it doesn't get moved to the Trash folder it gets permanently deleted. So in order to make my folders more appealing I've selected the "hide deleted messages" option. This works fine but I must remember to expunge each and every folder on a regular basis to avoid exceeding my quota.

Here's where I'm confused:

Does the "empty trash folders on exit" do more then it implies? Is there another way to have Evo do this for me? What is everyone else doing?

Thanks,
Phil