Re: [Evolution] New makefile for building Evolution from GIT

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 06:31:55PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 14:37 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
<how to set up an LDAP request to an Exchange server>

search base OU=<Corp> Users,DC=<Corp>,DC=com
search scope   Sub
search filter  (objectclass=person)

Thanks, this was REALLY helpful.  I had to use "CN=Users, DC=<mycorp>,
happy to return the favor

DC=com" for the base.  I also changed the scope to be "one" because it
seems faster and doesn't make any difference in the results as far as I
can tell.
I'll have to try 'one' on my end and see what happens.

I installed ldap-utils and did a lot of poking around using ldapsearch
from the CLI, and when I do that it gives me back what I want.  But,
Does ldapsearch not give you the mailing lists returned via Evo?

when I run a query for, for example, "smith" in Evo's contacts it gives
me back all the users PLUS a bunch of mailing lists that happen to have
"smith" in them, etc.  I can't figure out where it's finding these extra
entries.
I think that might be controllable via the filter, unfortunately I don't
know the filter criteria at all.
heh -- i wanted distribution lists, but don't get them ( we're a fairly
small company so getting  back everything wouldn't be that bad for me ).
I've googled a good bit in the past trying to find valid queries;
I find the ldap query language to be extremely arcane.  If anyone knows
of a good ldap query explanation site/tutorial etc I'd appreciate a post.

Additionally, every time I run a search, even though I do get results
that are displayed, I also get back an error dialog:

"The backend for this address book was unable to parse this query"
I don't get this, I wonder if different search criteria would
eliminate it.   Wonder if the error is on the outgoing query, or the
returned data....

And finally it often takes a REALLY long time (like minutes) to return
anything, even though ldapsearch from the CLI invariably finished in
fractions of a second.
again, we're pretty small, so my response times are pretty much realtime.
I wonder if narrowing the filter criteria so that you are returned a
smaller resultset would remedy this.  I know from the output of
the script that I sent that ALOT of data/text is returned that has to be
parsed.

queries are being run.  Is there any debugging I can enable for the LDAP
backend that would show the query being sent to the server, so I could
try to understand what has happening?
I don't know, I fired up wireshark and set it to filter only traffic to/from
our ldap server and watched what it sent that way.

reid