Re: [Evolution] stability/Reid

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 15:01 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
if you recall offhand the steps, i'd appreciate a quick posting of how
to configure it to work the old way..  if you have to think more than
a min for the steps don't bother, i'll figure it out/google it

No problem.  It's a bit non-obvious but open a terminal and type:

        gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

You can use the graphical editor too, but this is simpler IMO.  If you
disable auto-launch then it will automatically use the old notifier.

I've read ALL the arguments on the various lists for this new behavior
and none of them convince me.  It's particularly bad for me because I
set my system up with 8 different desktops (screens/whatever), and on
many of them I have windows that are maximized all the time.  Also, at
work I have two monitors and I use one monitor for a browser that I
leave running all the time, maximized, with "Always on Visible
Workspace" set, because so many of the things I do need a browser.  This
means that most of the time when the update-manager pops up its started
behind something that I'll never minimize, and when I come in in the
morning and start work I might switch away from that screen, do some
other things, etc.  I've gone for many many days without realizing that
the update-manager is sitting behind some maximized window, waiting for
me to update.

I think the whole idea of this auto-popup of the manager is just silly:
a clear instance of made-up policy trumping good sense.  But as long as
I can always switch it back, I don't care that much.

Have fun!