Re: [Evolution] Problem viewing calendars on multiple machines

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:31:43AM -0400, Robert Seward wrote:
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 13:27 +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:53:05AM +0100, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
Minor correction: it is not "SyncML the protocol" which limits the kinds
of data that can be exchanged, it is "SyncML server XYZ" or "SyncML
client ABC" which only support certain kinds of data.

-- snip, snip --

This discussion has taught me a lot, maybe I play devil's advocate too
much but I'm really not simply moaning about things.  I'm trying to
discuss weaknesses and look at ways to improve - possibly by looking
at radically different approaches.  I know only too well the
programmers mind set (I'm often there) you get sort of tunnel vision
and hammer away at the immediate problem without realising that
there's a totally different and much better way to achieve the same end.

In fact all this discussion has set me off on another track, I don't
*actually* use my E71 heavily for calendar and don't very often enter
addresses on it.  So it seems to me that my solution may not be
synchronization at all.  I'll find a desktop application I'm happy
with, possibly one that will synchronise with something on the web by
sharing .ics files and then will update my E71 occasionally from my
desktop.

Chris,

For what is worth, I have achieved PIM Nirvana by purchasing a T-Moble
G1 Android phone.

I can sync my Google Mail Calendar and Contact information to my phone.
Evolution can also access my Google Contacts. I am able to add events
and contacts on my phone and bam they appear on my desktops and in
evolution. Evolution can add contacts, however I personally don't add a
lot of calendar events via Evolution.

I know this all uses an external web site owned by an evil corporation
and requires the purchase of new cell phone; but what the hay it works
with my open source software they way I want.

Yes, you're right.  I do tend to avoid "servers out there" more than I
need to really.

--
Chris Green