[Evolution] How Evolution formats top-post replies

Most people I correspond with in email top-post, so I do too.  I don't have a
problem with either convention, depending on when each is preferred.
However, when I set Evolution to top-post in replies, I still must manually
hit enter a couple of times, then move cursor back up to create space for my
reply.  Is there a setting that allows top posting to work properly
automatically?  IOW, for the spaces to be inserted and cursor placed above
the reply, not on the same line as it.

In case my explanation was not thorough, here is a typical top post reply.
I placed a "*" where Evolution places the cursor in such emails.  It would
be preferable if the cursor was placed on the line above.  Otherwise, one
must go through the motions described above for each email one replies to.