Re: [Evolution] Evaluating Evolution- some basic questions [about the forced hyphens in signatures]

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:45 -0500, George Reeke wrote:

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 13:11 +1100, Nick Jenkins wrote:
Second, note the one hyphen in my signature above the longer
series
below?  I can't get rid of that "hovering hyphen."  I've edited my
signature, of course, but that hovering hyphen doesn't appear
there.
How can I get rid of that?

I have a simple method of avoiding the hyphen issue that others might
find useful:  I don't use the signature feature of evolution.
Instead, I have a selection of various signature files (like the
one below) in my home directory.  To add a signature to a mail
I am composing, I use the "Insert" button and insert the signature
as a text file (I never send html mail).  Then the software doesn't
know it is a signature, but the recipient sees it as such.
Of course, this might take too long if you send dozens of emails
every day.

George Reeke, Ph.D.
Head, Laboratory of Biological Modelling
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue
New York, NY  10065

I'm really trying to understand what is so objectionable about the
hyphens for some people.  I don't really understand.

I intentionally quoted Dr. Reeke's signature above to illustrate.

I don't like the fact that it isn't separated from the other paragraphs
in the email. I find it mildly disconcerting as such.  Even traditional
paper letters set off signatures from the body of the correspondence
with a close. like "sincerely yours", and usually a bit of extra white
space.  Often indented as well.

I don't mean to tell people how to write THEIR correspondence, but I'm
really not getting what the problem is, especially because I find the
hyphens (1) unobtrusive, (2) useful in delimiters between the
correspondence body and the often superfluous signature, (3) standards
compliant, and (3) a good way to automatically trim redundant
information.

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075