Re: [Evolution] Evaluating Evolution- some basic questions

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 12:51 -0500, Rob wrote:
One thing I hate -- and it is Outlook driven -- is an email that
quotes every word of every previous email in the thread, including
every signature and every list tag below each signature.  The hyphens,
with every standards compliant mailer, provide, at minimum automated
trimming of that redundant info.

Interesting, I couldn't disagree with you more.  Perhaps our industries
differ, but in my company's industry (Architectural and Engineering
Services) it is sometimes very important from both an administrative
and legal standpoint to be able to document an entire conversation.
Being able to prove that Bob the Client told Dave the Engineer to
modify the spec for Project Y to include items A, B, and C on [date] at
[time] as well as showing the conversational context that led to and
followed that communication is vital to us.

This is exactly the point I made earlier about quoting style. You know
best what works in your business environment, but on mailing lists such
as this one the style you describe is anathema.

Furthermore, I don't understand what you mean by "Being able to prove
that Bob the Client told ...". The only way you could carry out an audit
of a conversation is by copying the entire thread, *including all the
headers* (and in fact signing each message cryptographically on the
way), but in fact all you're doing is copying the message body. As a
matter of convenience I can (just) understand it, though assumes your
mailer doesn't do any reasonable version of threading, but as a matter
of "proof", it's completely meaningless.

poc