Re: [Evolution] Opening pdf attachments

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 16:19 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
On 12/15/2009 Carpet Nailz wrote:
 I see lots of posts about similar problems, but there doesn't seem to
 be
 a solution that I've found.

 I'm running Evo 2.24.1.1, which is the latest version for openSuse
 11.1.
 When I get a pdf attachment, I often do not get the option to open the
 attachment with either Acrobat reader or Evince. One email that I
 received this morning only give me the options of gedit or
 OpenOffice.org Writer/Web...

 Other times I get one or the other or both Acrobat or Evince. I
 actually
 received one email with two pdf attachments. One attachment gave me
 the
 options and the other did not (??).

 I did not have this problem in the past with Evolution--seems to have
 started with my move to openSuse 11.1.

 If I right-click on a pdf file in Nautilus it shows all the relevant
 options.

 Thanks for any help.

This is a MIME problem, not an evolution one.  It depends on how the
sending system encodes the PDF acrobat/PDF or application/PDF.  Make
sure both MIME types open in the reader you want.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've pursued it.

I don't think it's the solution, though. In the case of the email with
two pdfs attached, they both are type=application/pdf (according to the
properties of the files once I save them to the desktop), yet one (in
the email) give me as options to open Evince, Acrobat, OpenOffice
writer, & GIMP; while the other (same type) only gives OOwriter/web and
gedit. (On the desktop they both give me the same set of apps to open
with: Evince, Acrobat, OpenOffice Writer and GIMP.)

My mimeapps.list file had this line:
        "application/pdf=evince.desktop;writer.desktop;"

I added "acroread.desktop" to the end of that line and also added this
line:
        "acrobat/pdf=acroread.desktop;evince.desktop;"

This has not made any difference in the behavior of the sample email
I've been working with.

I just copied the two documents to a flash drive from my desktop, moved
it to my Vista box and mailed them back to myself (with Notes mail).
This time in Evolution both gave me only OpenOfficeWriter/web and gedit
options even though, again, both behaved fine when saved to the desktop.
So the computer knows how to open them. It's just Evolution that
doesn't.

Thanks.