From: evolution-list-bounces gnome org <evolution-list-bounces gnome org>
To: evolution-list gnome org <evolution-list gnome org>
Sent: Thu Apr 30 05:24:19 2009
Subject: Re: [Evolution] migration strategies - Help!

 In playing with the trial installation
on another box, I've verified that Evo doesn't recognize
importing of those elements from previous Evo versions.

Not exactly true.  When upgrading, Evo will upgrade data from previous
versions if necessary.  However I fear that what you are trying to do
(upgrade 1.x to 2.24) is just too disparate.  There was a big change in
the data structures from 1.x to 2.x and early versions of 2.x managed
the upgrade without any problems - and subsequent upgrades of 2.x to 2.y
also worked.  They worked seamlessly, that's probably why you haven't
found anything about it on the net.

BTW, I know this to be true because I've been upgrading Evo since before
1.4 and am now on 2.26.

I would have thought as well that you are going to have problems with
other things trying to upgrade from FC2 to Ubuntu 8.10 - not only is it
a big upgrade in terms of time difference, but it's also a difficult
upgrade in going across distros.

A few other comments - why are you going to Ubuntu 8.10, why not the
most recent version?  Also, and probably more importantly, if you are in
the habit of keeping an installation for a long time, why use a distro
that has a short lifetime (like Fedora or Ubuntu8.10), you would be
better off using a long term distro like CentOS or which ever Ubuntu it
was that had long support - at least then you will keep up to date with
security updates and have a reasonable chance of having versions that
aren't woefully out of date!

P.