Re: [Evolution] migration/Biggs

bg:

 In playing with the trial installation
on another box, I've verified that Evo doesn't recognize
importing of those elements from previous Evo versions.

Pete Biggs wrote:

Not exactly true.  When upgrading, Evo will upgrade data from previous
versions if necessary.  However I fear that what you are trying to do
(upgrade 1.x to 2.24) is just too disparate.  There was a big change in
the data structures from 1.x to 2.x and early versions of 2.x managed
the upgrade without any problems - and subsequent upgrades of 2.x to 2.y
also worked.  They worked seamlessly, that's probably why you haven't
found anything about it on the net.

bg:

That would make sense. My observation was predicated on what Evo offers
when you select import - it appeared to list every email client *but*
Evo. I can certainly understand that there may have been significant
alterations to the data structures between the two releases. I've
always figured on that, and planned on having to perform some
conversions - I just haven't been able to find much in the way of
comprehensive details on just how to do that.

For all I know so far, I might be best advised to download some
intermediate release of Evo and upgrade my 1.4 to that first,
then proceed to extract *it's* version of the data for the eventual
2.24 installation.

Pete Biggs wrote:

BTW, I know this to be true because I've been upgrading Evo since before
1.4 and am now on 2.26.

I would have thought as well that you are going to have problems with
other things trying to upgrade from FC2 to Ubuntu 8.10 - not only is it
a big upgrade in terms of time difference, but it's also a difficult
upgrade in going across distros.

bg:

I'm actually going to set up 8.10 separately, and, having plucked what I
need from the old FC2, eventually wipe it off the drives. (RAID Level 1
array) I wasn't planning to treat it as an "upgrade" process, across
such widely disparate distributions. So far I have the bookmarks for
Firefox figured out, but I've been having some difficulty constructing
a strategy for bringing across my Evo data. I anticipate no such
problems with my Open Office data files, nor with any of the other
thousands of purely data files on the old system, all of which are
either plain text or web pages saved in HTML.

But preserving my Contacts, Folders & Filters, and accumulated messages
from the old Evo version is clearly not a trivial process.

Pete Biggs wrote:

A few other comments - why are you going to Ubuntu 8.10, why not the
most recent version?  Also, and probably more importantly, if you are in
the habit of keeping an installation for a long time, why use a distro
that has a short lifetime (like Fedora or Ubuntu8.10), you would be
better off using a long term distro like CentOS or which ever Ubuntu it
was that had long support - at least then you will keep up to date with
security updates and have a reasonable chance of having versions that
aren't woefully out of date!

bg:

From my original trip to the Ubuntu site a few weeks ago, I recall that
8.10 was the highest numbered release that was described as a
"long-term support" release. 9.04 was not so described, unless my memory
is faulty (always a distinct possibility<g>). I've always had an
aversion to betas and RCs. Never could see any particular value to be
on the bleeding edge, out there with all the insectile manifestations
:-)

Besides which, looking at the way synaptic carries on, I should be
kept involuntarily updated on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the advice,

Brewster

" There are two modes of acquiring knowledge, namely by reasoning
  and experience.  Reasoning draws a conclusion and makes us grant
  the conclusion, but does not make the conclusion certain, nor
  does it remove doubt so that the mind may rest on the intuition
  of truth, unless the mind discovers it by the path of experience. "

         Roger Bacon        From _Opus Majus_ (1266-1267)

W. Brewster Gillett             bg fdi us            Portland, OR  USA
Simply because you don't like to hear it, that doesn't make it untrue.