Re: [Evolution] Purge Old mail

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 01:56 +0200, Thomas Mittelstaedt wrote:
Winti,

I use a vfolder to find all mails that have a Sent-date older than a
month, have a label called "mailinglist" and don't have a label called
"scorehigh".

You do realize that the Sent-date (i.e. the Date header) is set by the
sender and can be anything, right? I.e. it's not reliable as an
indicator of the message age. Recieved-Date is set by your local server
and is much more likely to be correct.

Incoming mail was filtered and labeled before, of course.
So, from time to time I go to this vfolder and expunge all mails with
Ctrl-E. I use the svn trunk version (2.26.1 right now) of evolution and
there is a little caveat, however. The contents of the vfolder are not
updated automatically. So, I have to right click the folder, go to
properties, modify e.g. the Sent-Date, close and reopen the dialog and
reset it to the desired Sent-Date and the vfolder gets updated.

Does this work on IMAP folders? I don't see how it can. The IMAP spec
defines Expunge as an operation on physical folders, i.e. there's no way
to expunge some messages in a physical folder and not others.

poc