Re: [Evolution] IMAP Server disaster

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 02:34 -0700, marcello wrote:
The problem seems quite general to me and I
cannot believe that there is not a built-in procedure to accomplish
this
(something like a configurable warning before the synchronization
process
deletes locally stored messages).

I would assume that the "problem" resides in the very nature of IMAP
itself.  A configurable confirmation is, in no way, a foolproof method.
How will you know when it is saving you from a wiped IMAP server (not as
frequent) versus you deleting a week's worth of read mailing list
messages on your work computer (very frequent for me)?

I don't disagree that it can be convenient to have those messages
retrievable from a local store in an emergency, but trying to treat a
cached copy of your IMAP account as a backup just isn't very safe.  As
you've pointed out, backing up those messages, while tedious, is the
safest method.

--chris

believed to be clean.