Re: [Evolution] IMAP Server disaster

Chris Williams-17 wrote:

I don't disagree that it can be convenient to have those messages
retrievable from a local store in an emergency, but trying to treat a
cached copy of your IMAP account as a backup just isn't very safe.  As
you've pointed out, backing up those messages, while tedious, is the
safest method.

After some further thinking, I agree with you. The "standard" local copy is
just a cache and as such must be treated.

Now the problem is setting up a configuration to locally save remote folder
which doesn't involve cached messages.

My first attempt was to define an inbound filter copying the received
messages to a local folder. Unfortunately I found out that the inbound
filters are only applied to the INBOX folder itself and not to its
subfolders (such as Sent or other user defined folders). The result is that
nor Sent nor other INBOX subfolders are copied to local folders.

Defining a second, outbound, filter mitigates the situation, but it is still
far from optimal:
1) If you send a message from one client it doesn't get saved on the others
2) If you move (for a mailing list, for example) a message from one client
it doesn't get saved on the others
3) if you send or move a message from a webmail client, the message is not
saved at all

Issues 1 and 2 are annoying, but still acceptable, the latter is not.

Once again a simple solution would be having a single inbound filter applied
to ALL messages received from the server, regardless of the folder they
belong to. I've not been able to define such a filter, do you think is
possible?

Marcello