Re: [Evolution] IMAP and Expunge

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 11:16 -0700, Al Niessner wrote:
I understand the desire for the Expunge. However, it is making life hard
for me with IMAP. I have several filters that move mail around, which
with IMAP simply marks them for deletion. In Evolution everything looks
great, but I am not always using Evolution. When I use the web
interface, all those moved emails are still in the Inbox. Not so
satisfactory. I went back to my filter rules and looked for the action
"Expunge" folder "Inbox" so that the IMAP side would do the right thing.
However, no such action exists.

I do not want to "Empty Trash" on exit because I like searching my 300
GB of trash once in a while for the scrap of information that I almost
lost.

But in Evo, Trash is a virtual folder that just shows all messages
marked as deleted in all your folders - so expunging will also remove
your precious trash.

I've never really understood this desire to use deleted messages as a
filing system - if you need to keep them, don't delete them, move them
to another folder.  You wouldn't keep all your trash from your house
piled up in your back yard in case you might possibly need, so why do it
with email?

P.