[Evolution] Evolution 2.24's sqlite database: what's it storing, should I be concerned, and can I get my data out of it?

Hi all,

When migrating a test laptop from Evolution 2.22.3.1 to Evolution
2.24.1, I noticed that it ran an evolution sqlite migration tool once to
do something with my email folders.

My questions are: What is this sqlite database being used for? Is it
used for storing the mail? Is my new + old local mail still all stored
in MBOX format?

I have had a quick look in the ~/.evolution directory, and I'm still
unclear about what sqlite is being used for, and if I should be worried
about its use. I like having my data in open industry-standard formats,
and want to be reassured that if & when I migrate my main desktop to
2.24.x, that this won't change.

To give a bit of background about why I'm particularly
concerned/sensitive about this issue: Before running Evolution I used MS
Outlook for ages, and one of the main reasons for using it for so long
was that I knew migrating my data out of Outlook would be very painful,
largely because it was locked-up inside a proprietary binary
non-open-standard hard-to-read data file. And indeed, it _was_
exceedingly painful to get my data out (worse even than I had imagined),
and into standard MBOX files (for mail), ASCII text files (for notes),
and ICS files (for calendars and tasks), VCF files (for contacts). I
really don't want to go through anything like that experience ever
again, hence my concern when I see something that looks like it might be
converting my mail into some sort of binary data format. Note that I am
not looking to change from Evolution 2.24 to another mail client, but
rather I want to know that if I do ever decide to do this that I still
have this option, and that I can migrate my data easily and painlessly.

-- All the best,
Nick.