Re: [Evolution] POP3 mbox performance and auto-expunging?

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 15:51 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 08:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
So the stored summary implicitly assumes the off_t size? I have to say
that I had no problems moving from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system and
preserving all my local mail, so I'm not sure there's really an issue
here (going the other way could be a different story of course).

Yes. As far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong, it really depends on the
time of the move (whether it was also between versions and some
migration has been involved automatically, then it can sort of work
without noticing).

It was from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9, so there would have been a version
change as well.

The only impact, the different size of off_t, is that
the summary will not match the mbox file, which could result in summary
mismatch and regeneration of the summary (with "native" off_t size for
the actual system).

I suppose that's possible. So in fact the safe way is just to delete the
summary files and let Evo re-create them :-)

I hope it makes sense a bit what I want to tell, and that it could make
trouble, but if you've other real experience with different behavior,
then it's possible I'm wrong here. Hmm, I'm really not sure now... :)

It's hard to be sure of these things without looking at the source. The
summary files are binary data and I don't know if the format is
documented outside the source. In fact I don't even know if the
summaries are portable between big-endian and little-endian machines.

poc