Re: [Evolution] Arbitrary "from" addresses?

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 12:04 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 15:01 +0000, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
I would love to see this feature too... it is just too annoying having
to go through a list of 100 dummy accounts and choosing the right one...
Why not have it the same way as the To, Cc and Bcc buttons/input fields?

I'm willing to entertain adding this feature but we need to work out a
reasonable UI for it.  A simple text entry won't work because Evolution
needs to know what server to send the mail to and which Sent folder to
place the mail in once it's sent.  That information is specified in your
account settings.  So the message still needs to be associated with an
account, even if the From address is altered.

How about using evolutions default account for sending in the case the
from address is unknown? I mean if you want to send this via a specific
account you are still free to add an account via preferences + specific
from email address?

I notice Claws Mail gives you a combo box with a list of your accounts,
but then puts the email address in a text entry next to it and lets you
edit it.  That might be a good starting point.

It would be nice that the list of from addresses could be saved
somewhere (in a 'from' addressbook). Regarding the UI, if we want the
normal from drop downbox to remain (instead of using the same we have
fro To/Cc also for from) then it would be an option to in the dropdown
list show all account-from's and then as last line a 'custom from
address'. clicking on that could pop-up the 'from' addressbook like the
To/CC button does.

Hmmhh thinking about it, why not have a From: button like To:/CC in
addition to the drop down list for this purpose?

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962