Re: [Evolution] Bug

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 19:03 +0530, Shreyas Srinivasan wrote:
On 10/26/07, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 06:35 -0600, Todd Ness wrote:
I represent a company with 600+ end users.  We are actively seeking
replacements for many Microsoft technologies such as Outlook/Exchange
and MS Office.  We are currently testing OpenOffice.org and Evolution
with select users and the IT Staff.
Also, instead of logging the user out you can open a shell and run:
pkill -f evolution
and then start your client up again.

The canonical way to kill Evo is "evolution --force-shutdown", but of
course "pkill" is easier to type. Is there a difference? I've no idea,
and the online help is silent.

Pkill just searches for all processes of the current user which match
the leading pattern evolution and kills them.

With the "-f" flag it doesn't have to be a leading pattern. Not that it
matters in this case.

evolution --force-shutdown kills
evolution
evolution-data-server
evolution-exchange
evolution-alarm-notify

In this case there isnt much of a difference since you probably
dont have any other application called evolution-* which is
running but is unrelated to evolution.

Its fairly straightforward to see that using evolution --force-shutdown
is a much safer bet.

Except that Evo needs to connect to an X server even just to shut down.
I've occasionally wanted to log in remotely and kill an Evo session, and
pkill is simpler in this case. (I know you can do "ssh -X" but I for one
never remember that until I've already logged in :-)

poc