Re: [Evolution] spam filtering

Paul D. Smith wrote:
Michelle Murrain writes:
 > I don't have spamassassin installed - I'm simply using Evolution
 > (version 2.10.1 - Ubuntu Fiesty) as a pop client.
> > Are you saying that I'd have to set up spamassassin on my laptop to
 > filter the spam before it gets to evo? That certainly is a possible
 > solution, but it would be a drag.

Others have already weighed in on this, but to speak specifically
about Ubuntu:

Evo on Ubuntu is built with both the spamassassin and bogofilter
plugins.  However, as others have said, both plugins simply interact
with the already-installed tools on your system; they don't contain
those tools themselves.

I agree with the majority: bogofilter is far and away the better
choice.  So, go to your package manager and install bogofilter, then
go to the evo plugins and select the bogofilter plugin and deselect
the spamassassin plugin.  Then restart evo, and start training
bogofilter.  Remember that you need to check your junk folder and mark
incorrectly tagged messages as "not spam" as well: that's an important
part of the training.  It won't take too long (depending on how much
mail you get) before things start working as you expect.

As with others here, bogofilter is now all but perfect for me when
detecting spam.  I couldn't live without it.

In case you're interested in more info re bogofilter.. the faq has some quick info re training etc... ( note: per above, I believe you have to have training on BOTH ham and spam before bogofilter will be able to effectively mark mail )

http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml

http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/