Re: [Evolution] Slow response

Hi,

On Fr, 2007-08-24 at 09:03 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 01:25 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
Or, you can build the latest version yourself if you want to go that
route.  It's not trivial but it's not too bad.

I've had a quick go at this. Evo 2.12 is not available from the main
downloads page:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml

That's clearly a bug. And we need you to discover them :)

Actually, the site links to
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/evolution/2.10/evolution-2.10.2.tar.bz2 so one could guess
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/evolution/2.11/ but of course this is way too unconvenient.

The compilation instructions were generic GNU instructions and said
there would be a configure script, which there wasn't. I tried make but
it said no targets. I tried running "./autogen.sh" and it said "You need
to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS".
Well, compiling Evolution is a bit tricky. You might want to have a look
at http://www.go-evolution.org/Compiling_Evolution_from_SVN and use
JHbuild.

Anyway, you can use latest Ubuntu builds which muss less hassle.
Add the gutsy repositories like

sudo -s
cat >> /etc/apt/sources.list <<EOF
deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates main
restricted multiverse
deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports restricted
main multiverse universe
deb http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main
restricted multiverse
EOF

then apply some pinning magic to make the gutsy repositories not to be
your default ones.
cat >> /etc/apt/preferences <<EOF
# gutsy
Package: *