Re: [Evolution] Slow response

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 09:03 +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
Or, you can build the latest version yourself if you want to go that
route.  It's not trivial but it's not too bad.
see
http://www.go-evolution.org/Compiling_Evolution_from_SVN

I've had a quick go at this. Evo 2.12 is not available from the main
downloads page:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/download.shtml

So I used svn to get the latest version. This required a little guess
work since the svn instructions were generic to Gnome and I only wanted
Evolution.

see above link also

The compilation instructions were generic GNU instructions and said
there would be a configure script, which there wasn't. I tried make but
it said no targets. I tried running "./autogen.sh" and it said "You need
to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS" - this is probably because
I'm trying to build in a user directory so I don't overwrite the old
version.
not sure what you mean here -- you can build in any directory for which
you have the proper permissions. seems like you're missing some common
gnome development packages ( what distro are you using? ).

re overwrite the old version -> if you mean you don't want to overwrite
the distro supplied version, then pass
--prefix=/path/to/non-standard/directory to autogen.sh/configure.  Then
make install will install the exes and libs
in /path/to/non-standard/directory/bin && lib.  Then prefix your PATH
accordingly ( you may also have to ldconfig the lib path ).

 I don't want to spend hours fighting with it, so I guess I'll
just wait for the package version of 2.12 to come out in October.

I must say, it's these kind of problems that made it a relief to move
from Linux to Windows a year ago. A working PIM seems like a pretty
fundamental part of a modern OS, but Evolution is the only choice under
Linux and it's flaky and unreliable. Even if you've got plenty of
experience building software, missing or inadequate documentation means
it's always a struggle.

I guess it's too much to expect that Linux software will eventually have
the "it just works" quality, but I keep hoping.