Re: [Evolution] Release/distribution of 2.6.4

On 9/15/06, J. Lee Dixon <jleedixon gmail com> wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is something that has frustrated
me for a while about evolution, even though I'm a HUGE fan.

I really want to be able to say that Evolution is great for corporate
use, but it's hard to say that when one can't get an update to connector
(vital for corporate use) without upgrading the whole operating system.

ditto ... big time. I just tested SLED10 and the evo-exchange
connector that comes with that distro. I have exactly the problem
described in the bugzilla:

"As new messages arrive, the
number in brackets after the Inbox grows ie Inbox (20) but the message index
does not update, even after a Send/Recieve.  Neither can next unread CTRL-]
display any of the new messages.  Even going into another mailbox and returning
to the Inbox doesn't bring up the new messages."

Unfortunately that testing box is no longer around, it may be a little
while before I can duplicate it.

But then, there are still the issues with calendaring (can't schedule
a resource, as the apppointment never gets to the resource calendar)
and can't open shared calendars. Grr.

What is the reason for not providing up-to-date packages for (at
least) the various corp-targeted distros? I know, I know: "the distro
maintainer" is supposed to. But, really ... the evo team is mostly
Novell folks I believe ... and they don't even bother to provide an
rpm (not to mention updates in the redcarpet channel) for SLED/SUSE?

I really really want to be able to run with evo and sell it's virtues
as an Outlook replacement on a linux desktop ... but it is just too
buggy and too hard to update at this point. It is SO CLOSE ....