Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: Re: No Beep, No Copy]

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 10:33 -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
Smells like an X problem, to me.  Evo just called gdk_beep(), which
calls XBell(), which is supposed to beep.  The actual beep volume
depends on X settings, but I'm not exactly sure how to set them.  Also,
it may not actually make any sound if your computer doesn't have an
internal speaker (or the speaker is not hooked up).  The XBell doesn't
usually use the sound card to beep, except on laptops which frequently
have BIOS support for translating the keyboard bell into a soundcard
beep.

One other note on this:  I discovered yesterday that the volume manager
has a separate entry for the PC Speaker (which would generate the
"beep") on my computer, and it's muted.  You might want to check that,
too.

Daniel