Re: [Evolution] Removing Duplicates and Importing, No Holidays, Kolab

On Friday 17 November 2006 16:22, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Hello Patrick,

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 12:10 -0600, Bill Turner wrote:
Evolution, to the best of my knowledge, is the only 'groupware'
type application for Linux.  Certainly the only one that mere
mortals can afford.

Not so. Take a look at Kolab http://www.kolab.org/ or its
components (Kmail, Kontact, Kopete etc.). It is of course also
free software.

Thanks much for the link bro.  Up till now I had only used KMail as
'standalone' and not used kontact or kopete at all.  I have now
begun using kontact for my groupware suite.  Since I am just in the
'checking things out' phase still I have not bothered to d/l the
kolab server.  plenty of time for that later.

I have been going back and checking out the list, not all of it mind
you, and it seems that many of the little 'gotchas' are already in
the process of being fixed, as they are 'known bugs'.  That's very
good.  For the moment I have decided to spend most of my time with
kontact, and not much with evolution, but will keep an eye on it to
see how things are progressing, as well as continue to read the
list. :)

To close out with a bit of constructive criticism, some of these may
already be in the 'working on it' phase.  As I said in my initial
post, the import procedure needs a bit of work.  I also noticed in
the Calender that it did not mark the holidays, this surprised me
as I could not even find a place to set that particular option.

 Kmail has the best import and dupe removal procedure I have seen in
any of the clients I have tried.  Up till now I had been using
Thunderbird for my email on both sides, and for just 'personal use'
that is just fine.  However, now that things are coming down to
'crunch time' on deciding what to use for the business, I have been
really looking for a 'business' solution.  On the MS side, now that
I know about the kolab server and client, that leaves Outlook in
the cold pretty much.  Thank God for that. :)

I just discovered an office suite based on OOo, called Oxygen Office
Professional, which seems to be the equivalent of Star Office, in
that it has a rather sizable number of templates, samples, and
such.  It is 'free' and here is the link for it.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170021

Man, I'm really getting jazzed about all this.  Well, I love
Harley's and have all my life, I would have never in a million
years pictured myself as part owner of a dealership.  To be able to
make all the computer-related decisions in a startup, people go
their entire life and never get a chance like that.  God moves in
mysterious ways I guess is all I can say to that.

Sometime next week I will contact the IT folks at Harley and will
let you folks know what they said about the software.  Knowing I
can run it in a nice safe little 'virtual box' makes me really
happy.

Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

--
Bill Turner