Re: [Evolution] Removing Duplicates and Importing

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:47 -0600, Bill Turner wrote:

OOooppss, hit the send button before I should have, will finish it now.

Hello all,

I have recently started using Evolution 2.6.1 under PCLOS Linux and have
a few Q's I can't seem to find the answer to in the FAQ or the mailing
list archives.  Sorry if this has been asked before.  I am running a
dual-boot setup with XP, and followed the suggestions on getting my
Outlook mail over to the Linux side.  This was easy enough since I was
already using T-Bird on both sides.  It was when I started to import the
mail that problems started showing up.

When I had finished the initial account setup I went to do an import of
the mail already on my system and was, quite frankly, flatly
disappointed at the import procedure, or rather the lack of an import
procedure.  The available options were very disappointing.  When I
looked into the help, it seemed that a 'manual import' was the only
option.

Kmail, by contrast, has a much broader set of import filters, and also
allows the detection and skipping of 'duplicate' messages.  I have
looked everywhere I can think of to find a way to remove the duplicates
in my folders with no success.  T-Bird also allows the removal of
duplicates.  KMail has that as part of the program, T-Bird requires you
to install a plug-in.  The point being that both of them allow the
removal of duplicates in a straight-forward manner, while Evolution
seems to lack that ability, or if it does have it is keeping it hidden
away in some place I can not find

Now, the point to all this is simple.  If we, the members of the Linux
Community, are well and truly seeking to provide a 'drop-in replacement
for MS Outlook, then things have to make some serious change so far as
importing and removal of dupes is concerned.  That a 'manual import'
should be considered as a 'normal import procedure' is something I find
a bit frightening.

Evolution, to the best of my knowledge, is the only 'groupware' type
application for Linux.  Certainly the only one that mere mortals can
afford.  'Free' is always good.  Not just beer either.  More importantly
however is that we simply can not expect to convince people to try it
out if they learn that a manual import will be required.

Outlook, by sharp contrast, does a pretty good job on the importing.
Not too sure about the dupe removal but I just recently set it up, for
testing purposes, and haven't really looked very hard.

Since this is my first post to the list I suppose a bit of personal info
is in order.  I am a disabled Viet Nam Vet and I live in Topeka, KS.  I
am currently using my personal machine as a test machine, trying out
various Desktop/Server OS's and applications.  In the 'not too distant
future' my brother and I will be opening a Harley-Davidson dealership in
Indiana.  The one thing I know with absolute certainty is that the H-D
apps are all 'Windows-based' so Windows support is necessary.

Linux has been my 'OS of choice' for many years now, but when it comes
to the H-D dealership, it has to be what is 'best for the business', not
my personal preference.  I have been, quite naturally, trying to find a
way to use Linux as the Desktop/Server OS if at all possible given MS's
'security issues' on multiple levels.

I believe that using PCLOS Linux for the Server/Desktop OS, combined
with the use of virtualization, can solve my problems in that regard.
Which brings me back to the reason I wrote this in the first place.
Unless I have absolutely no other choice I do not wish to use an MS
product.

What I need to know I guess is if Evolution is going to be able to well
and truly replace Outlook, or if I am going to have to use 'cross-over
office' or something similar and install MS Office on a virtual server?
I figured this would be the place to ask that. :)

I apologize for the length of my first post, I kept it as short as I
could and still give all the particulars that have me concerned.

Bill Turner