RE: [Evolution] Synchronising mailboxes

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 16:00 +1200, Eustace, Glen wrote:
 > Evo deletes messages from the server when you expunge them. Otherwise
they're just marked for deletion so you can undelete them if you want.
This is how IMAP is supposed to work. IMAP is explicitly *not* meant
keep multiple clients in synch with each other.

If my understanding of how IMAP works, when one deletes (not expunges)
or replies to a message, the message on the server gets its 'flags'
updated.

yes

 This change in state of a message is not reflected on other Evo
clients but is on OutLook, have MS got it wrong again ?  If so, it would
be great if Evo had the same bug/behaviour.

Different IMAP server implementations are better/worse than others as
far as notifying all other clients of flag updates.

Most IMAP servers don't tell a client that the flags have been updated
on a particular message until the client explicitly asks for flag
updates[1] or at the very least explicitly asks for other info about a
particular message[2].

1. explicitly asking for flag updates is expensive, hence we don't do it
(unless you change folders and I think send&receive will force a flag
rescan too?)

2. i.e. if the user clicks a message, Evolution will send a FETCH
request for that particular message - if the flags have been updated by
another client, the IMAP server will tell us.

If a message has been deleted by Client A running evo, I would like it
to dissappear (be hidden) the next time Evo checks for messages. At the
moment the check would seem to only be for new messages rather than
changes in state of old ones.

it does both.

On the assumption that others don't see the same behaviour, the IMAP
server is dovecot running on FC4.

Glen.