[Evolution] Evolution not working - can't find a solution!

I'm using Evolution 2.4.1 on Ubuntu 5.10 and Gnome 1.12.1.

My problem began yesterday when I clicked on a new mail message just arrived in Evolution. What I got was a
warning: "The application "Evolution" has quit unexpectedly" and the options of "Restart Application",
"Close", or "Inform Developers". Restart simply closed Evolution. When I opened Evolution again I got the
same warning - and the same result on clicking either Restart or Close. Restarting the PC makes no
difference. If I click outside the warning box it freezes the PC. At present I have no access to my mail.

If I start Evolution in the terminal I get the same result and in terminal it shows:

adding hook target 'source'

(evolution:7993): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(evolution:7993): GnomeCanvas-CRITICAL **: gnome_canvas_request_redraw: assertion `GNOME_IS_CANVAS (canvas)'
failed
evolution: tif_jpeg.c:1505: JPEGCleanup: Assertion `sp != 0' failed.

To make sure I kept my mail, I backed up .evolution and .gconf/apps/evolution. Then I did a reinstall of
Evolution...but still had the problem. So then I did a complete removal followed by installation of
Evolution...but still got the warning message.

Next I deleted the .evolution and .gconf/apps/evolution folders. When I next opened Evolution there was no
warning message and it would work but I had no mail and no custom folders.

If I add back only the original .gconf/apps/evolution folder the result is the same - no warning message but
no mail and no custom folders.

If I add back only the original .evolution folder I get my mail and custom folders but also the warning
message and the problem again.

I don't understand enough about Linux to know what to do next - I'd be grateful if someone could please help
me get my Evolution back in working order.

Thanks!