Re: [Evolution] Synchronising mailboxes

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 15:38 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

Eustace, Glen wrote:
if you can open them, then the server didn't actually expunge them
yet :)

it also means that the server didn't give Evolution any expunge
notification untagged responses, which would be WHY they haven't been
removed from Evolution's display, and hence would not be a bug.

My observation would tend to suggest that the laptop has a stored copy
of the message as it seems to be displayed instantly i.e. much faster
than the connection would suggest was reasonable.

Although, I have just tired it on a desktop by pulling the network ply
out and I get a 'Unable to retrieve message', so maybe I'm wrong.

Whatever the reason, having deleted messages stay around is a pain.

Evo deletes messages from the server when you expunge them. Otherwise
they're just marked for deletion so you can undelete them if you want.
This is how IMAP is supposed to work. IMAP is explicitly *not* meant to
keep multiple clients in synch with each other.

Furthermore, refetching messages unnecessarily is not just a matter of
how fast your network is, it's also hammering your mail server. Your
server admin (me) is not going to thank you.

Make your Evolution icon execute a script that does the following:

  #!/bin/sh
  evolution
  evolution --force-shutdown
  cd ~/.evolution/mail/imap/$EVO_ACCT/folders
  for f in `du -a | cut -f2 | grep -v ^d`; do shred -uv $f; done

To appease the gods of Shell programming, I'd change the last two lines
to:

find ~/.evolution/mail/imap/$EVO_ACCT/folders -type f|xargs shred -uv

Alternatively, you could symlink .../folders to a tmpfs filesystem, so
everything just goes away when you shut the system down.

poc