Re: [Evolution] Re: particular mail crashing Evo (was: Re: Evolution not working - can't find a solution!)

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 02:25 +0200, guenther wrote:
On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 17:14 -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 01:58 +0200, guenther wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 23:13 -0700, Des Dougan wrote:

I just got a crash because of a mail. I don't use the preview pane, and
successfully viewed it in IMP. The attachment is a JPEG, about 400k in
size. I'm on 2.6.0, as you can see, installed from one of the SuSE 10.0
apt repositories. This is the first time I've had such a crash; however
2.6.0 is new to SuSE - I only installed it a week or so ago. No further
updates are available yet.

I can forward the message if it would help debug this. Just let me
know...

Now this is interesting. I got a mail on my todo list I got recently,
with a 294 kByte TIFF attachment (entire mail 400 kByte due to base64
encoding of the attachment).

Des, I sure would be interested in that mail. Please send it off-list
with the mail either attached or (preferably) the raw saved mail
attached in an archive. Well, you may just as well open a new bug in
bugzilla and attach the raw mail to it. A stacktrace would be useful,
too. If you prefer, I can do this for you and gather a stacktrace with
debugging symbols.

Guenther,

When you say "raw saved mail", am I right in thinking you mean via
"File, Save Message"?

Yes, that one. :)

I'd be happy to send it to you.

Good. Though you may consider the bugzilla option for another half
second. ;)  A pretty likely follow up question by me would be anyway, if
I may stick that mail into bugzilla, after having a close look at the
mail myself and gathering the stacktrace.

Oh , I considered it for at least half a second ;>)

Yes, you can put it into bugzilla, although I'd prefer if the sender was
blanked out.

Des

Since you explicitly mentioned you do not use the (pre)view pane [1],
that particular mail crashed Evo for you on opening and displaying the
mail only, right?

Yes, that's correct.

ok

[1] I hate to call it pre-view, cause it is not. There is nothing being
    *pre* viewed. That embedded pane displays the exact same data, as
    opening a dedicated mail window does.
    FWIW, due to this, it does not matter if one is using the (pre)view
    pane or not, if the crash happens on viewing the mails contents.

...guenther

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support