Re: [Evolution] Evolution not working - can't find a solution!

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 21:04 +0200, guenther wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 16:56 +0100, Peter Barnes wrote:
[...]
If it is the Mailer component crashing, a common cause is a
    particular mail that crashes while being rendered. To prevent
    rendering of the mail, you can disable the preview pane and set the
    message display to 'source', which will display the raw message.

    Disable the preview pane:
    $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/evolution/mail/display/show_preview --type bool 0

    Display the raw source message:
    $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/evolution/mail/display/message_style --type int 2

Thanks for the help Andre. I tried the individual components and it
was the mail causing the problem.

Then I disabled the preview pane and set the message display to
'source' in the way you suggested. I could then open Evo without
getting a warning message. I tried opening all the mail messages from
the last download. All opened OK except the one at the top of my list
which I assume was the last one to download. When I clicked on this it
gave the dreaded warning message, so I closed and opened Evo again and
deleted it.

This message, as I have mentioned elsewhere, was a press release from
a respectable German manufacturing company and I have opened and read
it on a Windows PC. The only things I could see that might be regarded
as potential trouble were the facts that it had an umlaut in the title
and that it had five attached files amounting to several MB in total
size. But surely Evo can cope with this? So perhaps it was nothing to
do with the message itself.

Yes, it can. :)

Neither of those facts seems to be the issue here. If you still have
that mail somewhere, I'd like to have a look at it (if it does not
contain sensitive data). The *raw* mail, that is.

When I now open Evo from the terminal I get:
adding hook target 'source'
(evolution:20813): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion
`GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

But in the past I always opened it from the desktop and so i don't
know if this message is normal or not.

You simply can ignore almost all of that spewage.

Evo now works and I have all my mail - but when I click on New or on
Send/Receive it wants me to fill in all my account details as if I had
only just installed it.

When I click on "New" I get the following in the terminal:
(evolution:20813): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Unrelated, ignore it. :)

I guess I will have to go through filling in the forms again - but I
don't understand why it has lost the information. I did delete
the .evolution and .gconf/apps/evolution folders but I restored them
from a back-up.

Not sure either, since your passwords are stored elsewhere [1], but if
there has been an issue with the accounts since, Evo does not keep
trying indefinitely, but re-asks for the passwords. Guess something
along these lines happened for you.

Just enter the passwords again and make sure the "remember" option is
checked. You should not be prompted a second time for any (newly)
provided password. HTH

...guenther

[1] ~/.gnome2_private/Evolution

I just got a crash because of a mail. I don't use the preview pane, and
successfully viewed it in IMP. The attachment is a JPEG, about 400k in
size. I'm on 2.6.0, as you can see, installed from one of the SuSE 10.0
apt repositories. This is the first time I've had such a crash; however
2.6.0 is new to SuSE - I only installed it a week or so ago. No further
updates are available yet.

I can forward the message if it would help debug this. Just let me
know...

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support