Re: [Evolution] Evolution not working - can't find a solution!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre Klapper" <ak-47 gmx net>
To: "Peter Barnes" <scribus operamail com>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution not working - can't find a solution!
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:28:33 +0200

Hi Peter,

Am Mittwoch, den 31.05.2006, 20:22 +0100 schrieb Peter Barnes:
My problem began yesterday when I clicked on a new mail message just
arrived in Evolution. What I got was a warning: "The application
"Evolution" has quit unexpectedly" and the options of "Restart
Application", "Close", or "Inform Developers". Restart simply closed
Evolution. When I opened Evolution again I got the same warning - and
the same result on clicking either Restart or Close. Restarting the PC
makes no difference. If I click outside the warning box it freezes the
PC. At present I have no access to my mail.

To actually find out what goes wrong here, you can run Evolution
    in gdb (the Gnome Debugger):

    $ gdb evolution

    After that, type "run" and hit the Enter key.
    When Evolution hangs, hit "Control + C", enter "thread apply all bt"
    and post the output here or file a new bug in Evolution's bug
    database at http://bugzilla.gnome.org .

As this likely is data or settings related, it is a particular
    component only. To check this, start Evo with a component explicitely
    set, rather than picking up the last used one (mailer, presumably):

    $ evolution -c tasks

    will start Evo with the Tasks component. Does it still crash? See
    'evolution --help' for other options.

If it is the Mailer component crashing, a common cause is a
    particular mail that crashes while being rendered. To prevent
    rendering of the mail, you can disable the preview pane and set the
    message display to 'source', which will display the raw message.

    Disable the preview pane:
    $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/evolution/mail/display/show_preview --type bool 0

    Display the raw source message:
    $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/evolution/mail/display/message_style --type int 2

cheers,
andre

Thanks for the help Andre. I tried the individual components and it was the mail causing the problem.

Then I disabled the preview pane and set the message display to 'source' in the way you suggested. I could
then open Evo without getting a warning message. I tried opening all the mail messages from the last
download. All opened OK except the one at the top of my list which I assume was the last one to download.
When I clicked on this it gave the dreaded warning message, so I closed and opened Evo again and deleted it.

This message, as I have mentioned elsewhere, was a press release from a respectable German manufacturing
company and I have opened and read it on a Windows PC. The only things I could see that might be regarded as
potential trouble were the facts that it had an umlaut in the title and that it had five attached files
amounting to several MB in total size. But surely Evo can cope with this? So perhaps it was nothing to do
with the message itself.

When I now open Evo from the terminal I get:
adding hook target 'source'
(evolution:20813): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

But in the past I always opened it from the desktop and so i don't know if this message is normal or not.

Evo now works and I have all my mail - but when I click on New or on Send/Receive it wants me to fill in all
my account details as if I had only just installed it.

When I click on "New" I get the following in the terminal:
(evolution:20813): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

I guess I will have to go through filling in the forms again - but I don't understand why it has lost the
information. I did delete the .evolution and .gconf/apps/evolution folders but I restored them from a back-up.

Thanks again for the help!
Peter