Re: [Evolution] Restore deleted address book

Dear List and Guenther,

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 01:15 +0100, guenther wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:59 -0500, George Reeke wrote:
Dear Guenther,
   Thanks.  I'm not sure why I couldn't find your posting with
the search on the gnome archives, but let's forget that for now.

The damn archive search on mail.gnome.org simply is broken (read: it
does not work at all). *sigh*  To search the mailing lists I recommend
using Google and adding this to any search:

  evolution site:mail.gnome.org

Thanks, I'll do this next time.

   Yes, there was just one address book.
   Greg Tassone yesterday suggested just restoring the contents of
~/.evolution/addressbook from the backup.  I did this and everything
is OK now.  I think in my simpler situation this gave the same end
result as your procedure.

Greg's suggestion was pretty fine, and I'm glad it already solved the
issue for you. He just forgot to mention the bit about kicking e-d-s,
since it holds the data in memory. Other than that, Greg's post is
entirely correct. :-)

Well, I exited from gnome to a console prompt and did it there.
Now I'm curious?  Did I kill e-d-s etc. by exiting from the gui
environment, or is that not enough?  (I may have rebooted after the
restore, I don't remember).  Frankly, I'd be more comfortable (in
the future with this sort of thing) just getting out of gnome
than having to remember or look up which processes to kill,
especially since I read on the list that this changes in different
releases.
   I'd appreciate your further insights in this matter.
   All the best,
   George Reeke

   [I'm not posting this to the list because I think case is closed.]

And I'm Cc'ing the list, since we are talking about issues everyone
subscribed should know. :)  Hope you don't mind.

...guenther