[Evolution] OSX-like daemon for Evolution Calendar

Hi all,
I just read about the Evolution Daemon on
http://go-evolution.org/Evolution_Architecture#Alarm_daemon

From my (limited) user experience, this daemon is only active when
Evolution is active.  I prefer the OSX-like behavior where some daemon
starts when you log in and ensures you're notified of appointments
even when your calendar application is not (yet) started.

Am I missing some feature or is this not implemented (yet?) on Linux?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Pieter Van Gorp.

PS: Evolution + Multisync kicks ass!  Bluetooth synchronization is
much faster than on OSX ;-)