Re: [Evolution] Paste not working in replies?

does this refer to the body, to the subject, or a recipients field?
when pasting, do you use the keyboard shortcut (ctrl+v), the main menu
item, the context menu item or the central mouse button?

i won't test all those just trying to reproduce your bug, that's why i
asked. :-)

It is in the body, and it happens both with the keyboard shortcuts and
with the pulldown Edit menu selections.

Of course, just now I tried copying and pasting within this reply and
it worked fine.

OK, I see how this works now. If I discard the first reply, that seems
to also clear out anything I have copied at the same time. So when I
then start a new reply and try to paste in what I copied before, there
is nothing to copy anymore.
But if I leave the first reply open while starting the second reply, I
can copy and paste just fine. Odd behavior, but now that I know how it
works I guess I can work with it.

AFAIK you just described pretty fine how the clipboard behaves. :-)

Anything copied to the clipboard only survives in there as long as it
still exists. IIRC this is due to different contexts -- the source and
destination application can have multiple contexts, and they kind of
need to pick the one that suits best. (Although I am sure I did not use
the correct terms... ;) It is similar for drag-n-drop, IIRC.

Someone else on this list likely knows this better...

For example, dragging a text file from Nautilus to gedit will open that
file, providing some kind of an URL. Copy and Paste (using the keyboard
shortcuts) will paste the full file into the currently open gedit
document. Drag-n-drop and copy/paste from Nautilus to a terminal will
result in the full file name always. (Beware, pasting here will have a
trailing \n, thus the shell will try to execute the line immediately.)

Another (common) example is copying parts of a spreadsheet into a text
editor (with and without HTML table support).

HTH

...guenther